Saturday, January 17, 2009

Be people of the light.

Light is an amazing thing. A small amount of it can make a huge difference to a dark place. If a crowd of people were in a dark room, and someone lit a candle, every single person would know that there was a light in the room. They may see it first hand, or they may see the glow on the walls or ceiling.
Stars in a night's sky can be seen lightyears away. No one ever says "Look at the darkness up there!" - No-one admires the darkness in the night sky. It's always the little flickers of light. The stars. Light attracts attention. Even the small flash of my mobile phone bugs me when I am trying to sleep. Light is noticeable in a dark place.

You yourselves used to be in the darkness, but since you have become the Lord's people, you are in the light. So you must live like people who belong to the light, (Ephesians 5:8)

Ever been in a dark room? Ever tried to find your way in darkness? Believe me, I have. Do you know how many times I have tripped, stumbled, stubbed my toes and bumped into walls and doors? Countless times. I sometimes get disorientated and start to panic because I can't figure out where I am.

Imagine the journey of life in darkness. If it was pitch black you could not follow the path, because you don't have a path to follow. You wouldn't know if you were heading in the right direction, you wouldn't know if you were about to fall down a cliff, trip over a rock or anything. Your journey would be aimless because you could not go anywhere.

Before Jesus came into my life, I stumbled, I got hurt, I bumped into things as I tried to find my way. At one point I was in a huge hole and I couldn't get out in my darkened life. But when Jesus came, I was in the light. I was no longer blinded. I could see where I was headed - I could see the path.

Photobucket


So - we are now in the light. How do we live like we are people of the Light? How do we live like we belong to the Light?

First things - first - since we are now in the light - we can see things clearly. In the cloak of darkness, things can be hidden very well - but nothing is hidden when it's in the light. Light exposes things. Light exposes sin. We need to deal with that in our lives.

We are called to be people of the light. So we are called to stop living life blindly, but with purpose. Our journey is now clear, our destination is now clear. We are to "Run the race that God has set before you" (Hebrews 12:1) We now have boundaries, and a set path to journey on. We are heading towards God - not destruction.

Then, to be people of light, we need to be what darkness can't be. We need to light up our dark world with love for each other. We need to show our light by showing compassion to those who are living in darkness and suffering because of it. We can live with courage because our light can never be overshadowed with darkness.

What an awesome calling. To light the way to Jesus.

MY PRAYER
Dear Lord,
I answer the call you have placed on my life, to live like I am in the Light. Thankyou for your Word to me today, and I pray that I will remember this as I continue on in you.
I pray that you will give me opportunities to "let my light shine" and help me recognise them and act appropriately to be the ultimate example of you. I pray you will keep teaching me and growing me as I obey you and your Word.

Thankyou Jesus, Amen.

2 comments:

Little White Dove said...

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for the light that Skipper is shining for you and your kingdom. I pray that Your light may shine through my own words, thought and actions, and that You would grant me the wisdom to see an opportunity for sharing the wonder of Your light, and the ability to know how to best share Your Word.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Great blog Skip! I've added it to my bloglines!

Skipper said...

Are you stalking me?? ;)

Glad you like it R. :)

And a big amen to your prayer too!

xx Skip

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails