Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Head down, butt up.

Photobucket




Do everything without complaining or arguing. (Philipians 2:14)

I don't know what happened over the Christmas holiday, but my children have changed. Once upon a time they played together nicely, they never fought, argued or bickered. They just played nicely. NOW... the second I pick up my daughter from school, she and my son are at each other's throats. It's on for young and old!!They don't see each other ALL DAY LONG, yet they fight the second they see each other. Before we even have left the classroom!

It's my job to teach them about giving, taking, compromise, speaking to each other with respect, asking not telling etc.

My daughter has a very good attitude towards household tasks. You tell her it's job time, and she will mostly complete her jobs without complaint. My son on the other hand whines, whinges and completely refuses to do his job.

It is my job to teach him responsibility and to be responsible with joy.

It's not fun to clean toilets, iron clothes, hang up washing etc. It's not fun to mow lawns, wash the car, do the food shopping. It's easy to say "I did it last time, it's your turn!" or arguments can break out because it feels like an unfair workload is distributed.

But we are to do all this and more without argument and complaint. We are to accept our responsibilities and serve each other without complaint. This takes an awesome shift in attitude. Instead of serving with limitations, God can then use our willingness to serve 100%. If we are only willing to work and serve in areas that we like, God will not use that. We need to be more than willing to do more than our "share".

God is teaching us to be responsible with joy. When we complain and whine about our responsibilities, we rob ourselves of joy that we can experience. Colossians 3:17 Everything you say or do should be done in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. It's a joy and a priveledge to be serving God and each other in the name of Christ. When you work, give thanks to God and do all you do for Him.

God wants you to give, to take, to compromise, to be flexible, to ask, not demand and to show respect to each other as we work away down here on earth - in work places, school, the church, the community and in your home. Be at peace with each other, even though your sense of justice rises within you. Remember that all you do, you do it for God - not for yourself.

So head down, butt up, and get to it! :)

MY PRAYER
Dear Lord,
Help me to remember that all I do is for you. Help me to be a joyful servant and not complain about my work load. Thankyou for giving me opportunities to serve you.
Amen

2 comments:

Donna said...

Skip, I can't tell you enough how much I love your prayers. They are so spot on. The things you ask god to teach you and to show you just make my heart go all mushy.

I want to be you when I grow up.

Skipper said...

Aww thanks Donna. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails