Sunday, August 2, 2009

Control yourself!

Galatians 5:22-23 But the spiritual nature produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Self control - what is that?
What exactly is that???

Taken from
In the New Testament, the most common Greek word for self-control (temperance, KJV) is enkrateia. Its root meaning is "power over oneself" or "self-mastery." Self-control, in its widest sense, is mastery over our passions. It is the virtue that holds our appetites in check, controlling our rational will or regulating our conduct without being duly swayed by sensuous desires. Moderation is a key element in self-control.

Photobucket

I can't stand hearing excuses for certain behaviour - instead of owning it. It shows a lack of self control. It shows that the person does not have power over oneself.

I'm guilty of not having power over my actions. These last few months, I have put on weight because I have been eating in my stress, instead of dealing with it properly. I cannot blame stress, or comfort eating for my weight gain, I can only blame myself. I ate the food, I chose to eat, I chose to allow my stress and food to consume me. I gave this power - I allowed it to reign over me.

Proverbs 25:28 Losing self-control leaves you as helpless as a city without a wall. .

Hear that? If one does not have self control, one is vulnerable to attack. One is open and weak. There is no strength, there is no resistance.

My lecturer tell me this joke.
Satan was sitting on the curb crying. One of the demons came up to him and said "What's wrong??"
Satan sniffed, "Them Christians!! They are always blaming me for things I didn't do!"

Satan can't make you lose your self control - because it's about SELF control. You need to own your behaviour, own your weakness and then bring it under submission. Bring it under control. Bind it. A mental illness or a personality trait cannot control your behaviour - it certainly influences it, but not control it. Own your behaviour. Own your actions. Own what you think and feel, what you do and say. The first step to being in control of it, is to realise that it needs to be controlled!

So today, I bind my lack of self control in the eating. God wants me to live in freedom, but I can't be free when I am not in control of myself. I own my sin. I repent. This won't be easy - but I am ready to do it.

Where do you lack control? Are you ready to bind it, bring it under submission and rule in your own life?

MY PRAYER
Thankyou God for placing this on my heart. Thankyou that you want me to be the very best I can be, and want me to live in freedom and reign in life. I pray that the readers today will also understand that this is your will, and it's not about being a dictator, but about being a Daddy. You want the best for your kids.
Amen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails