Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What to do with your gift?

Last night I was praying, asking God what he wanted me to do with the gifting he had placed on my life.

Here is a list of the gifts, based on Romans 12:6-8, Ephesians 4:11, 1 Corinthians 12:1-14 (Taken from wikipedia.com)
Prophecy
Ministry
Teaching
Exhortation
Giving
Leading
Showing mercy (compassion)
Apostolic
Prophectic
Evangelical
Pastoral
Teaching
Wisdom
Knowledge
Discerning of spirits (human, angelic, demonic)
Speaking in tongues
Interpretation of tongues
Prophecy
Faith
Working of miracles
Healing

If you don't know what your spiritual gifting is, there are tests available online to help you work it out. The more detailed the test is, the more accurate is usually is. I took one once and it said Pastoral was my gifting.... PFFTT!! Far from the truth there!! LOL I do have a few gifts, but one mostly inactive one.

ANYWAY... back to my point. I was asking God how could I possibly use the gifting I have on my life when I just don't get given the opportunity. I can't self promote and say "I have this gift on my life, use me!!" I am not arrogant by nature nor pushing my own agenda. I believe that when God is ready he will use it.

Anyway God laid on my heart "prepare".
How can I prepare to use my gift?

I need to depend on God and have faith in HIS purposes.
I need to focus on the GIVER of my gift, not the gift itself.
I need to get good, or excel at my gift.

So I have decided to just write messages, for all kinds of people, on the things that God lays on my heart - instead of writing them up as I am invited to speak. I am going to practice them, in front of the mirror if need be, or to the dog - I feed her, she will listen! :) I can practice to get really good!! I don't have to come to a grinding halt because I'm not in active service just yet. Like a football player exercises inbetween games, I will exercise my gifting and prepare myself to do what God has called me to do.

I'm glad God spoke to me about this. I've been frantic wondering what was going on and why did God give me this gift if it was to lay dormant in me for ages!

I hope this in some way has spoken to you to, if you have unused or undiscovered gifting in your life. If you don't know what your gifting is, I recommend discovering that for yourself, so you can use it to benefit the body of Christ.

MY PRAYER
Dear Lord,
Thankyou for your word, your inspiration and the gifting you have placed on me. I pray that you will continue to speak to me and show me how I can teach your word. Inspire me so that every message that I write up is from you. If you have other gifts to give me, I soooo want them!! Give me what you have Lord, I am your vessel. Fill er up! You are an amazing and gracious God. I am so honored and priveledged to serve you.
Amen

1 comment:

Daph-a-dill's said...

Thanks for yet again encouraging me....this is one issue i have thought about over the past few months. Im still yet waiting to figure out Gods gift to me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails