Wednesday, August 5, 2009

You gotta build your house upon the rock!

I was just flicking through the Bible, wondering what on earth to read... what on earth to share with you.

I found myself in Colossians, and my eyes rested on:
Colossians 2:7 Plant your roots in Christ and let him be the foundation for your life.

Is there a theme happening here at the moment? Yesterday I talked about roots running deep.

Then I remembered this parable:
Matthew 7:24-27 These words I speak to you are not incidental additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundational words, words to build a life on. If you work these words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who built his house on solid rock. Rain poured down, the river flooded, a tornado hit—but nothing moved that house. It was fixed to the rock.
But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. When a storm rolled in and the waves came up, it collapsed like a house of cards."


When a home is built, there are footings put in place to keep the house upright. If these footings are not correct for the type of foundation, then the house will crumble.

The same is with our life - if we build it on Jesus and follow his teachings, our foundations will be strong and sure.

I like what the Message version says about the Sand builder - "just use my words in Bible studies" - it's so important to live what you read, what you learn and what you speak. It's all well and good to have a knowledge of God's Word - but to actually apply it as well.

Life is firm, secure and safe when your roots are firmly rooted into Christ. This doens't mean trouble won't happen or storms won't come - it just won't destroy you. It won't knock you over like a house of cards!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails