Sunday, September 6, 2009

Run this race...

Photobucket

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.

I want to focus on a few things in this verse.

1. ...let us run with endurance the race that is set before us
This race is set. It's destination, it's route, it's hurdles - everything is set before us. It's what God has set. You have no control of your race - or your spiritual walk - only if you run it or not and run it well.

1 Corinthians 9:26 ...so I run-but not without a clear goal ahead of me.

We know where we are headed in life, we have no excuse of getting lost on the way, unless you aren't paying attention. So pay attention!! Remember God's teachings, remember what God says to you and what he speaks to you about. Remember the promises God has given you. Remember that each hurdle you arrive at - the race doesn't stop - you don't halt and don't move. You leap over it with confidence and with the strength God gives you.

But the most important thing to remember that my race is MY race. You can't run my race, I can't run yours. We each have a race to run, and we can't expect another to finish it for us. We have to run and run with endurance the path that God has set for you.

Your journey is not my journey, my journey is not yours. You can learn from me, I can learn from you, but we race individually.

2....let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely

I don't know about you, but carrying around 10 bags of potatoes while I run around the neighbourhood doesn't thrill me. Carrying 1 bag from the shop to the car is exhausting enough. It weighs me down, it slows me down, it makes me feel awkward, heavy and tired. The weight of sin does the same thing, it slows us down, it makes us feel tired spiritually, we feel awkward and can't run our race effectively. But we are told to lay them aside and run with endurance. Get rid of the weight, get rid of our habitual sin that clings to us. We can run with endurance when we don't have a tonne of sin dragging us down.


MY PRAYER
Thankyou Father for reminding me of this scripture. Thankyou that I don't have to map out my own course but you have set it for me to run. Thankyou that you sent your Son, to show us the way and teach us how to run it well. I ask that you keep showing me the weights I can leave off so I can run it effectively and well. Amen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails