Sunday, October 11, 2009

Proverbs 3: 5-6 Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
he's the one who will keep you on track.


I just love this scripture. I remember singing a song about this as a child in school. It really has stuck with me.

Trust in God. Trust God. Trust in the Lord. Trust. Trust. Trust.

I remember playing a game with my brother - who was 4 years my junior called "Trust me?" - I had to turn around so my back was facing him, and then fall into his arms and he would have to catch me. If you stepped backward, trying to catch yourself, you didn't trust the person. It was a little terrifying. So... We would play. One day I did a human "timber!" and started falling... and falling... I felt the terrifying feeling of falling harder and faster... I was getting close to the ground... and about 2 inches before I hit the ground, I felt my brothers arms and hands on my back. He had squatted down so that I would have to fall a long way before he caught me. But I had to trust that he would catch me, otherwise I would have been crusin for a brusin on my noggin! :)

On a youth camp I went on we went rock climbing. (back in the days when safety equipment was optional and we were all rather adventurous and crazy anyway) We had to get into teams of two, one person was blindfolded and the other had sight. I was blindfolded... and I had to climb this cliff with my partner directing my hands and feet. We made it, and boy was it hard to focus on her voice and focus on the fact that she wasn't going to do something stupid - especially as she was directly behind me and would be taken down with me!!

Trust is hard for humans at times. Human beings let other human beings down, but God is the only one who never will. He will be there for us at every moment of every day, through every trial, through ever happy moment. God is with us. We can trust that he has our best interests at heart - even though we don't always understand why and what on earth is going on.

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble.

Psalm 46: 10 Be still, and know that I am God!

I love how the Message translates this verse: "Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God.... above everything."

Know that I am God. KNOW that I am God. KNOW IT.

I don't have to figure it all out and have all the answers, I just have to know that God is God. I just have to be still, chill, take a moment and remember that God is God. I can trust him.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I was always surprised when I became a Christian how very easily I was able to trust in God. I was very lucky that it came so naturally to me and wasn't something I had to learn. I often need to call on this trust and sometimes have to hand over some very hard and challenging things! He has never let me down, ever.

Thank you for reminding me how blessed I am, Skip :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails