Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Faith in God, no matter what.

Genesis 12:1-4
The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you.
I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others.
I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you.”
So Abram departed as the Lord had instructed....Abram was seventy-five years old when he left Haran


When I read this passage, I was amazed at the level of faith that it took Abram to pack up everything he owned, and leave his family, his heritage, his land and go off to some unknown place. God said it and he did it. Not only did he just up and leave and go on a huge walkabout through strange lands, he did this when he was 75 years old!! 75 is OLD!! 75 is past retirement age here. He was a white haired nomad. And he up and left, in anticipation of the promises that God made. I am especially glad God kept the promise that "all families on earth will be blessed through you" We are certainly blessed because Abram acted in faith. 2000 years a go that blessing came to earth to offer us salvation and relationship with God.

Abram had to make a painful decision to leave his family, leave everything he had ever known, leave his friends and all that was comfortable and head off to literally God knows where. God promised him that he would make him a great nation - even though at 75, he had no children. His wife was past child-bearing age. In the natural, this was an impossible promise to keep. But God did it - 25 years later, God gave Abram a son - Isaac. God kept every single promise he made to Abram because he acted in faith and did what God asked of him.

MY PRAYER
Lord I want to obey your every word. Help me be like Abram, who didn't question you but obeyed and in return received so much blessing. Abram's faith is a faith I want to emulate. Lord I believe in the promises you have made me, what you have said you are going to do, how you are going to use me. I will do anything and go anywhere you tell me to, so these can come to pass. You are worthy of all the praise, and all the glory, all the honor. Amen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails