Saturday, November 28, 2009

Waiting for Isaac

Genesis 21:1-5 1 The Lord kept his word and did for Sarah exactly what he had promised. 2 She became pregnant, and she gave birth to a son for Abraham in his old age. This happened at just the time God had said it would. 3 And Abraham named their son Isaac. 4 Eight days after Isaac was born, Abraham circumcised him as God had commanded. 5 Abraham was 100 years old when Isaac was born.

gods promises psalm 113: Pictures, Images and Photos

Isaac was God's promise to Abraham. He promised Abraham that He would make him a great nation. His descendents would be so numerous you couldn't count them. Abraham was 100 years old before Isaac arrived. Now I don't know about you, but 100 years old, is OLD! I don't see many 100 year old people able to have children. Sarah would have gone through menopause, their libido would have diminished somewhat - and at that age, if they did have sexual relations, wouldn't "Gee I hope I don't break a hip!" be forefront in their minds. She said herself, her child bearing years are over.

Genesis 18:11-12 Abraham and Sarah were both very old by this time, and Sarah was long past the age of having children. 12 So she laughed silently to herself and said, “How could a worn-out woman like me enjoy such pleasure, especially when my master—my husband—is also so old?”

Sarah thought it was impossible.
Abraham believed God, but must have been too, wondering how it was going to happen.
God waited until it was absolutely humanly impossible to conceive a child, and then acted. Isaac was a complete revelation of God's amazing power. There is no way anyone could say "That was a fluke, a very rare occurence" - because a 90 year old woman and a 100 year old man cannot bear children.

I can't really complain - at 30 years old, God is not fulfilling his promises to me. God has not given me my Isaac. When it comes to fulfilling God's purposes, I want it to be GOD who does it - when it's humanly impossible for me to do anything, God will move. I don't want an Ishmael - which was the son that Abraham had when he tried to move the hand of God.

So however long it takes, whatever God's will and purpose is in regards to the promises he has made, I am willing to wait for my Isaac.

MY PRAYER
Lord God, you are in control of everything. Thankyou that your purposes and promises will come into being in their due season. Lord when I see that things don't look possible to me, I can rejoice because with you - NOTHING is impossible.
Amen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails