Thursday, December 17, 2009

Detour signs.

detour ahead Pictures, Images and Photos

Exodus 13:17, 21-22 When Pharaoh finally let the people go, God did not lead them along the main road that runs through Philistine territory, even though that was the shortest route to the Promised Land..... The Lord went ahead of them. He guided them during the day with a pillar of cloud, and he provided light at night with a pillar of fire. This allowed them to travel by day or by night. And the Lord did not remove the pillar of cloud or pillar of fire from its place in front of the people.

The journey to God's promises are not always direct. Sometimes we are lead on detoured routes. And do you know what? That's ok with me - because:

1. It's planned!
God has a purpose and a reason for leading us on indirect routes. The Israelites were lead on a longer route for a purpose. If you read the scripture in it's entirety, God states his thinking and reasoning. Now I know it would be nice to know WHY God does what he does - sometimes we just don't know. But we have to have faith in God's purpose and believe that God has a greater plan.
God is not surprised by anything. He isn't sitting up there thinking "Oh wow! Well, I didn't expect THAT to happen... oh dear, now what?" He didn't lead the Israelites into Philistine territory, because he KNEW what would happen. He knows what we are going through, where we are at on our journey and he knows what we need to get through each stage in our life.

2. We are not lost!
Sometimes I feel like I am wandering around aimlessly - where am I going? What am I doing?? But God has the map. He's the one who directs us and leads us - and I just have to believe in his direction. Psalm 23:3 He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. He's guiding me. He's guiding you. We are not lost - we are not going to have to backtrack, we are not wasting our time. All is good. All is for a reason and a purpose.


3. My faith will increase.
2 Corinthians 5:7 For we live by believing and not by seeing.
I need to believe his promises, believe in his abilities, believe that he is doing everything for a greater purpose, and bring glory to God as I go. Going on detours is an exercise in my faith.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.


MY PRAYER
I believe in you Lord. I believe in your abilities, your will and your purposes. I want to be lead completely by you. Like you lead the Israelites by fire and a cloud - I want to be lead by your Holy Spirit and your Word. Help me go through my detours, equipping me as I go, and help me stay patient and see it as a faith builder. Lord I know you have great things in store for me - I want to bring glory to you as I take the journey to actually get there. Thank you for speaking to me through your Word. I pray that you will speak to every single reader, impact them, encourage them and surround them with your love. Amen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails