Friday, December 11, 2009

Put in a good word...

Genesis 40:14 And please remember me and do me a favor when things go well for you. Mention me to Pharaoh, so he might let me out of this place.

impatient Pictures, Images and Photos

I totally get where Joseph is coming from. He is starting to get impatient. He is starting to wonder whether he should have the "God helps those who help themselves" attitude. He is starting to self promote. He put his faith in a human being to get him out of prison and to start fulfilling his vision and dream. He asked the cup bearer to "do him a favour" and "talk to Pharoah for me". I get it. Everything within me is screaming out to do the same. Promote yourself Skip. Advertise. Start talking to the "right people" about your dreams, visions and abilities. Get people in power to liase on your behalf. DO SOMETHING WOMAN!! I can see why Joseph asked for a favour.

impatient Pictures, Images and Photos

For a moment there, Joseph's focus shifted. He thought a mere human would be able to do what God should have already done, as far as he was concerned. As it turns out, the cup-bearer forgot Joseph for 2 years!! Didn't even give him a second thought! Relying on humans to fulfill what God has promised is fruitless and will just disappoint.

But this time of waiting for God's timing was the time that Joseph was developed. His faith had to be unwavering. He was given leadership opportunities. He had to go through this time to be the great man that he was. This time of waiting will not go wasted for myself or for anyone else who is waiting for God to do His thing.

Psalm 146:3-6 Don’t put your confidence in powerful people; there is no help for you there. When they breathe their last, they return to the earth, and all their plans die with them. But joyful are those who have the God of Israel as their helper,
whose hope is in the Lord their God. He made heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them. He keeps every promise forever.


MY PRAYER
Lord I will trust in you and only you to do what you have promised. Your Word says that you keep EVERY promise. You will never dissapoint me. God I want to have faith in you and only you. My human nature wants to self promote - and I know that is not your will. Keep reminding me that it's all in your timing. Your purposes will come about when YOU decide it's time. Not my timing.

3 comments:

Lori Laws said...

Hi Skipper, great post! I absolutely love the story of Joseph. Anyone who has been waiting on God to do "His thing" can gain so much from studying his life.

"He had to go through this time to be the great man that he was. This time of waiting will not go wasted for myself or for anyone else who is waiting for God to do His thing."

So true! So true! God bless!

Skipper said...

Thankyou Lori!

I'm studying the Bible in it's entirety - and I'm so glad I learned about Joseph at this time in my life. It constantly amazes me that God's Word is active and powerful - even though I am studying a man who has been dead for thousands of years. :)

Thank you for your encouragment. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Skipper. I am so inspired by your blog. Thank you. God bless you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails