Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Attitude during the tough times.

Exodus 17:1 - 2 - At the Lord’s command, the whole community of Israel left the wilderness of Sin and moved from place to place. Eventually they camped at Rephidim, but there was no water there for the people to drink. So once more the people complained against Moses. “Give us water to drink!” they demanded.

God sometimes leads us into difficult places. If Christianity shielded us from bad times, how would we grow? How would our faith in God increase? What would be the use of praying for God to supply our needs, because God was already doing it? If God shielded us from tough times and from trials in our lives, if God did everything we wanted and gave us what we wanted WHEN we wanted it - can you imagine how spoilt we would become?

God lead the Israelites into a waterless desert. It was for a purpose. God doesn't do anything willy-nilly. His attitude is "How can I torture my people today? I know! I'll make them thirst for a while!" We don't know what the purpose was - it didn't say. It just said "At the Lord's command..."

These deserts we encounter in life are there to grow us.... or not. We alone decide. It's our attitude during these times that will decide if we grow or not. Do we blame God or do we accept the challenges that come our way? Do we behave with grace and continue to have faith in our Almighty Father that there is a great purpose in this? Do we whinge? Whine? Why me? Why is this happening to me? What kind of God does this to his people?

Oh. WOW!
As I typed that last statement - God spoke to me.
As you may know, I am a rape child. I have never ever figured out WHY God would allow something so terrible like that to happen to my Mum. WHY did I have to be born that way? What kind of God allows this sort of thing to happen to his kid? I often think "God you have ALOT of explaining to do when we get face to face. I have questions that I feel are unanswered." I knew that God had a greater purpose, but I never thought that my attitude could be hindering what God has in store. I think God has just answered my question.

I can't think like an Israelite slave. I can't behave like a whinging, whining, questioning slave. I'm not a slave - I'm a child of God, set free from bondage and with a mission to serve our Mighty God! How I respond to the deserts I encounter will decide if I grow or if I don't. It's time to shake the slave mentality off and allow God to lead me where he wants to lead me. I can't surrender to God fully if I have a slave mentality.

I just had a water from the rock moment.

MY PRAYER
Dear Lord.
I'm sorry. I am so incredibly sorry that I have had a slave mentality all these years. I want to accept the circumstances to how I was conceived as something you ordained with a greater purpose. It's not because you hated me or my Mum and wanted to punish us. I want to accept your will and purpose for my life and not demand an explanation and threaten you with confrontation later on. I want to accept the circumstances of my conception with grace and have complete faith in you that whatever you have in store for me is going to be so amazing. I believe that there is a Promised Land for me in my future, and it's going to be far greater than we can ever think of.

Ephesians 3:20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.

Lord as I go through my life, I want each day, either good or bad, to be lived for your glory. I want to learn and grow each day. Help me remember that my attitude will decide this.

Thankyou for your grace, your mercy and your love.
Amen

1 comment:

Lori Laws said...

Yeah, adversity will either make us cling tighter to God or take us farther away from God. Adversity comes to make us grow strong.

As far as you being a child of rape, I immediately think of "Satan meant it to destroy, but God meant it for good." Just look what you're doing-blogging for Jesus, and lifting up His name! What a great call on your life! Keep blogging. We have no idea what is happening in the Spiritual Realm:)

God bless!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails