Sunday, July 11, 2010

Love like that...

Ephesians 5:1-2 Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that. (Message Version)

In the past when I think of imitating God in this way - I go to the Bible and try and learn from there. But this is saying "Watch what God DOES". It's great to look back in the Bible - the inspired Word of God - and learn from there. But it's also good to look at what God is doing today and what he will do. God is not dead, his actions have not ceased and we are not limited to the Bible in imitating God. We have our whole lives to watch what God does and imitate it.

"Keep company with Him and learn a life of love". This has impacted me so much today - I've always known that "by their fruits you shall know them" - and the first fruit of the spirit is love. By keeping company with God - by staying close, by having a deep and meaningful relationship with Him, I will learn this life of love. Pure and true love is a product of our relationship with God. Love in us is a response of God's love toward us. I love because I have been loved. 1 John 4:19 We love each other[a] because he loved us first.

Love Pictures, Images and Photos

His love is unselfish - the most pure form of love. And we are called to love this way - extravagantly! When I look at myself, my first thought is "I can never love that greatly, I'm not capable, I am too flawed..." - but as I continue to walk in Him, I will learn. Each day my love for others will deepen and extend, because of God within me. My love for others is a product of the love I receive. My love for others indicates if I am keeping company with God and learning a life of love.

MY PRAYER
Lord, thank you for speaking your Word deep into my spirit. I want to grow from this. This has encouraged me to pursue you more and walk closer with you. I pray that you will keep revealing yourself and your love to me and I will develop a deeper knowledge of that love as I learn from you. I want to be more aware of what you are doing today so I can learn more and more about you. Thank you for your unselfish and beautiful love that is shown to me every single moment.
Amen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails