Monday, August 2, 2010

God is.... #2

GOD IS OUR REFUGE AND STRENGTH

Psalms 46:1-2 God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea.

Thank goodness I don't have to rely on my own strength to get through life. I don't think I could handle it! I really pity people who go through tough times and don't know God is there to lean on. It's a promise - that God is our refuge and strength. God promises refuge - which is defined as: safety: a safe place. We are promised safety. We are promised a safe place to cry, rant, rave, pray, beg, plead, mourn, etc. To me when I think of God's refuge, I think of his arms. I think of being scooped up into a big cuddle and given the freedom to express myself in safety.

Photobucket

Sometimes it's risky to express yourself to other people, because you can be rejected, scorned, mocked - or my ultimate peeve "You are a Christian, you can't feel like that". Some people can't handle extreme emotions and don't know how to respond to them. But God can handle it - and he knows exactly how to respond - he offers you his refuge and strength.



Note that it says always ready to help in times of trouble. ALWAYS. Repeat after me... ALWAYS. I like this. It means that God doesn't pick and choose when he helps you - he certainly picks out HOW he helps, but WHEN he helps is every single time. We don't have to fear going through the tough times alone. God is ready to help you. Just yell out! Even then sometimes you don't even have to yell out! There have been times in the treatment and therapy my son needs, I didn't even know what I needed, but God provided it with help and opening doors that normally wouldn't open without months on a waiting list. :) God will help you. You don't have to do life alone and in your own strength.

Photobucket

The last part of this verse to me symbolises life - rather than the literal earthquake and mountains crumbling into the sea. Has anyone ever seen a mountain crumble into the sea by chance? To me the earthquake and mountains crumbling symbolise life at times. Earthquakes can be very destructive. They shake the very core of the earth, creating havoc above. Not to mention the bi-products of earthquakes ie; tsunamis. Sometimes it feels like we are going through earthquakes in our lives, our very core gets shaken and our life begins to crumble. Terrible things happen, disaster strikes, our lives are never the same. After the quake our lives are unrecognisable (sometimes). But God promises us refuge and strength to get though these times. God promises to be there and to help you.

Photobucket

Life can deal out some hard stuff - but we don't have to fear it happening!!! We don't have to live our lives in fear of the harshness that comes with life. We don't have to fear the pain, the hurt, the confusion that comes with earthquakes in our lives. Because God is our refuge and strength. I'm glad of that! The energy that is spent in bracing yourself for the next rough patch in life can be spent on other things. We can completely rely on our God to be there for us, and to offer understanding, his help and his strength. Aren't you glad that you serve this amazing God?

MY PRAYER
Dear God, I'm so glad that you didn't create us and then leave us to our own devices. I'm so glad that you desire a relationship that encourages us to run to you when we go through the tough times. I'm so glad that you promise us your refuge, your strength and your help. You are such a great God and I am loving that you have revealed yourself just a bit more to me. The more I know about you, the more I love you. Amen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails