Friday, August 6, 2010

God is.... #5

GOD IS GOD OF ALL GODS.

Deuteronomy 10:17 For the Lord your God is the God of gods and Lord of lords. He is the great God, the mighty and awesome God, who shows no partiality and cannot be bribed.

God is God of all gods.

That's awesome! So that means that I'm worshipping the great and mighty - the best, the strongest, the most awesome God there is. God is God of all. That is so good to hear. I would be kind of worried if God said "I'm God, but.... I'm not as good as Buddah."

This verse made me think for a bit... God is definitely God of all - and reigns supreme. But does he reign supreme in our minds and hearts? There are so many things that we are exposed to and have in this world that we can "worship". Movie stars, musicians, sports, TV, books, study, friends.. These types of "gods" are things we put before God. Does God come before facebook? Does God come before my hobbies? If God is God of all "gods" in MY life??

I just love the next line - He is THE great God. THE mighty and awesome God. These are such words of worship. God you are so great, so amazing, you are mighty and awesome. How many songs are there out there that express the goodness of God? How great is our God. Great is the Lord. God is good. Lord your goodness and grace will follow me. How amazing is your love. Amazing grace. Amazing Love. Great and mighty is he. Our God, is an awesome God.... the list could go on. God loves to hear you proclaim who he is and what he is in your worship.

Then the next line makes me chuckle. I've already covered that God doesn't show favourites - but I want to touch on: God accepts no bribes. Were there people who actually tried this???? :)Actually there are people out there today who try to bribe God - and you may even be one of them. But before I explain, I want to properly define what a bribe is.

"...offering something such as money or a favour to influence a decision or an action"

Are you trying to bribe God?
"God if you help me out of this financial situation, I'll join the worship team and play the guitar for you for the rest of my life."
"If you don't answer this prayer, I'm not going to serve you anymore, because what is the point?"
"Well if you can't heal my body, I'm not going to church anymore."

And what about using faith as a bribing tool? Using it as currency to get what you want?
"I'm praying in faith.... see? Faith. God will answer my prayer because I'm praying with faith." Faith is not a currency or to be used to bribe God. God will answer your prayer according to his will - faith is believing that God will do just that. Not a bartering tool.

It's kinda cool in a way that God can't be bribed. It means it's fair for one and all. No one has greater benefits and opportunities because he is offering his gifts and his devotion and super-faith to God to bribe him. God cannot be bought. God acts with wisdom and with what is in our best interests - not what we think is wise and our best interests.

MY PRAYER
I'm so glad that I worship the Alpha-Omega God. You are all powerful and greater than any other god who was and is. And you chose me. You chose me to be part of your family and I'm so thankful for that. Thank you Lord for revealing another part of yourself to me in this scripture. Thank you for showing that you are indeed very fair and that I am no better than anyone else and no one else is no better than me. Thank you that even though you are top-God and are so great, powerful and mighty - you care about the little things that bother me. You care about my life, my pain, my troubles, my joys, my triumphs. Thank you that in your greatness, you share the life of this flawed, little person. This makes you top-God in my life.
Amen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails