Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Let someone else do it..

"So David's fame spread throughout every land, and the LORD made all the nations fear him" (1 Chron 14:17).


My husband and I watch program on the ABC called "Gruen Transfer" which is basically critiquing television advertising and how effective it is, and how it works. Companies pay advertising people to come up with these ads to promote their businesses and make you feel or think a certain way about them. The ultimate goal is that based on their promotion, you will be moved to consider their product before anyone else. They wish to influence your decision on where you shop, what milk you buy, what takeaway you eat etc. They stoop to guilting you, tapping into your insecurities and use subtle subliminal messages to form your opinions.

Photobucket

They are very clever. But they are also self promoting. I don't know about you, but I am more willing to try a product when a friend says "Hey Skip, I tried this and it was so awesome. I reckon it might suit you." When someone on TV says "try this" I'm automatically distrusting.

The same goes for self-promotion. Are you willing to hear "good gossip" "That guy is so amazing and has a real annointing on his life" or "I'm so amazing, I have a real anointing on my life".

Promoting yourself can also be pretty risky, because it means you are not willing to wait for God and you want to move ahead. When you boast about yourself, your skills etc in order to gain promotion, you have gone too far. I am guilty of doing this. I've gone too far. In my frustration I have acted hastily.

King David was famous because he was fulfilling the calling he had on his life. David never once boasted about himself - "I killed a giant, I conquored many nations etc.." He honored the Lord in all he did and gave glory to him, not to himself.

"Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips (Prov 27:2).

MY PRAYER
Lord help me to remember to be patient for you. Help me stay within my boundaries and move forward when it's your will. In the meantime while I wait, teach me your ways and your heart. Reveal yourself to me through your word as I read it and light my path with it. I repent of all the times I have tried to promote myself. I repent of all the times I have tried to subtley drop "hints" in an effort to self-promote. I will wait upon you in future.
Amen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails