Thursday, October 13, 2011

He calls us "friend".

"For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies... so how we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God" (Romans 5:10-11)

I love this passage. Because of Jesus we are God's friends - and he made us his friends before we even accept this fact. This is amazing! I must admit, this kind of friendship is the ultimate kind. There is no friendship I have on earth that would have be extending grace and friendship to the point of giving my son over to die for them. Bec is my best friend - I love her deeply and she is very special to me. But I don't love her enough that if she was going on to death row for her crimes, I would send my son instead of her.
If my friends were constantly hurting, abusing, and rejecting me, I would withdraw the friendship offer. I am a believer in boundaries and that if people deliberately abuse the relationship, it should be withdrawn. I would still love them, but not have much to do with them. I don't think Grace should turn us into doormats so that are downtrodden and deeply affected by other's actions. God is not a doormat, far from it. But he has this supernatural love and grace towards us all, that he is rejected and abused every day, yet he does not withdraw his love and offer of redemption from us.


"But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners" (Romans 5:8) We are restored and relationship is renewed!  God made the first move in order to save us, the ones he loves!  I love how God has done all this work in order to save us and be friends with us. Our salvation is not a spur of the moment thing, God has put a great deal of thought into it and action behind it. All we have to do is accept. Pretty easy on our part I think!! It reminds me of Christmas Day at my house. I spend months preparing and planning, ordering the food, baking, decorating, cooking, cleaning, etc. All my family have to do is just rock up and enjoy the benefits. We are already redeemed, saved, and God's friend, whether you have accepted Christ or not.



MY PRAYER
Lord Jesus, thank you for making me your friend, even before I accepted you as Lord. I'm glad that we are friends. Thank you Lord for rescuing me and sending along the right people to lead me to you. Thank you for your expression of love towards me, I don't deserve any of it - but that's what makes it Grace. Thank you for redeeming me and calling me friend.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails