Wednesday, May 30, 2012

God's Motives.

I have just read a devotion by Os Hillman, which spoke about God's motives. I never really thought of God having motives, but he does!

2 Samuel 22:20  "He brought me out into a spacious place; He rescued me because He delighted in me."

He's like a true parent. I have motives for my children - I raise them in a certain way because I want them to be liked, respected and a positive influence and asset to our society. When I discipline them, my motivation is not to make their lives miserable, but to show them the right way to act and speak. God has a motive for you and me. In our lives he wants to bring us into that spacious place. Now when I think of spacious place I see fields before me, wide open spaces, no fences, no mountains, just field and big blue skies. God wants to bring me to that place. 

Photobucket

Os said "He wants us to go beyond our borders of safety and security so that we might experience life at a level that goes beyond ourselves. Sometimes these spacious places encourage us to step out in faith into areas where we've never ventured. Sometimes we need to be rescued by the Lord. When Peter walked on the water, God was inviting him to a spacious place. He went beyond the borders of his boat and ventured into a whole new world. He didn't have complete success in his venturing out, but it was a process that would lead him to the next victory in his faith walk with Jesus. Sometimes failure is what is needed in order to move us to the next level of faith with God. However, we must be willing to fail and let God rescue us."

It reminds me of the phrase "baby-steps". We can teeter and totter and wobble and stumble as we learn to walk by faith. We aren't always going to get it 100% right and that's ok! God will be there to catch us when we fall, because he loves us. His motives for us is his love for us. He wants us to trust him and depend on him.

(based on Today God Is First (TGIF) devotional message, by Os Hillman)

MY PRAYER
Father, I trust you. I know that everything you do is good and for our good. Thank you for the reminder today that your love is constant and true.
Amen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails