Sunday, February 10, 2013

Committed and teachable

{Psalm 25:1-10}O Lord, I give my life to you. I trust in you, my God! Do not let me be disgraced, or let my enemies rejoice in my defeat. No one who trusts in you will ever be disgraced,but disgrace comes to those who try to deceive others. Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you. Remember, O Lord, your compassion and unfailing love, which you have shown from long ages past. Do not remember the rebellious sins of my youth. Remember me in the light of your unfailing love, for you are merciful, O Lord.
The Lord is good and does what is right; he shows the proper path to those who go astray. He leads the humble in doing right, teaching them his way. The Lord leads with unfailing love and faithfulness all who keep his covenant and obey his demands.

I love this Psalm. It is one of dedication, submission and a desire to learn and follow. 

God already knew that David was His, and David knew that he belonged to God - but yet he makes a fresh dedication of his life. This may not have been for God's benefit, but rather David's. "Lord I give my life to you" - a reminder to David that his life isn't his own. Think about it in today's terms - imagine if every time we got on our knees before God, we said the sinner's prayer? We are already a child of God, we don't need to do that! But we do need to be in complete surrender to God and remind ourselves that our life is nor ours - but God's. "I trust in you, my God!" - In order to completely be in submission to someone, we have to completely trust them. If there is no trust, we are not going to be pliable, teachable and lead-able.  For example, my children relax in my arms as I hold them, the trust that I will not drop them or hurt them. If I was swinging them about or they feel unsafe in my arms, they are not relaxed, they stiffen and it's difficult to move them about. Trust in God is vital if we want to live a life of surrender.

David shows his desire for God to lead him when he says "Show me the right path... point out the road for me to follow.. lead me... teach me" We are incredibly blessed that we don't have to wander around life aimlessly. We have a purpose, we have a place in this world and we also have a designated journey to travel. We have our own paths to walk along and experience. Our paths are different from the next persons path. {Hebrews 12:1} .... and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. It's set. So there is no point trying to walk another person's journey. It's hard to main focused on your own path when our eyes see the people around us doing different things. We can become confused and sometimes scared to make the big decisions in life. What if this isn't God's will? We can pray that God will show and direct us in the correct way. 

The most important thing that we can be is teachable. Have you ever met an unteachable person? They are stubborn and WANT to remain ignorant. They frustrate the people around us and in the end it doesn't get them anywhere. I learned early on in life that ever single person has something to teach me, and I can learn from them - something - whether it be a positive or negative lesson. Some people can be lessons on what NOT to do! :) God wants us to be this open with him - because when we are willing to learn and be guided, God can show and do amazing things. If we remain stubborn - we are not doing ourselves any favors. I have found that being stubborn with what God wants to teach me - I will either miss out all together - or I learn the hard way. 

Where is your heart right now? Are you running away from where God wants to lead you? Are you willing to allow God to lead you? Are you living your life in full submission to God and trusting in his goodness and his ways?

 photo gosissovereign_zpsc1c62461.jpg

MY PRAYER
Lord I want my life to be yours. I want my heart to always remember that my life is not my own. Make clear the path before me and show me where I am to go and what I am to do. I trust in your goodness and your wisdom. When things get tough and the paths are not so clear, help me to remember that! 
Amen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails