Sunday, February 17, 2013

What being a special needs Mum has taught me about God

I have been blessed with two amazing children with Asperger's syndrome. They are bright, smart, funny little people that keep me on my toes. Last year was an incredibly hard year on our family as we journeyed the early intervention path with my son. This involved a LOT of appointments and therapy for him while we tried our hardest to help him overcome some of the debilitating sides to ASD. But as I look back, I can see where God revealed himself to me through my experiences, failings and weaknesses. I want to share two of these things with you today.

1. God is our biggest advocate.
{Psalm 46:1} God is our refuge and strength,always ready to help in times of trouble.

There have been times, and will be more times that I have to go into battle for my kids. I have learned that a diagnosis does not get you everything you need. You have to go in and ask/insist/fight for what they need and are entitled to. My kids cannot do that for themselves yet, so it's my job as their Mum to go and advocate on their behalf so their path is smoother and easier to walk. God paves the way for us to make our paths clear. He helps us obtain what we need to succeed in life {Philippians 4:19} And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. 

A few months ago my boy was riding his bike down the street (I was watching him from a secluded spot so he could have his space and independence, but in safety). The neighborhood kids were out too and spotted him. They circled him like a pack of wolves, laughing at him and trying to teach him inappropriate things. I stepped out from my spot so I was in full vision and gave those kids "a look". One kid saw me and said "Stop! His Mum...." all eyes were on me. Three kids bolted and hid in their yard, the other kids backed right off him and left him alone. And my son, not even aware that I had intervened, kept riding around the street happily.

God stands in his spot giving "the look" to those who may harm us or want to hurt us. He has the same attitude this Mama Lioness has - and that is "Don't you DARE touch my kid!" God fights for us and defends us! {Exodus 14:13-14}  “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the Lord rescue you today.......  The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.”

 photo god-is-for-us_zpsee0f8570.jpg

2. God is never sick of "Daaaaad"
{Ephesians 3:12} ....in whom we have boldness and confident access through faith in Him

A really hard part of being a parent is listening to the constant needs of my children "Muuuuum, I need... Muuuuuum I want... Muuuuuuuum can you.... Muuuuuuuuuuuummmm I can't find..... Muuuuuummmmmm" Then throw in ASD where these kids are so egocentric (no fault of their own) and are only interested in themselves and what they are interested in. So I have to listen to their chatter about their interests, their day, their dreams etc - and there is rarely any "What did you do today Mum?" It's a very lopsided relationship. So sometimes when I have heard "Muuuuuuuuummm" for the millionth time that day, I snap "WHAT????!!!!!!" My ASD kids look at me a bit warily and confused at my reaction - but proceed to tell me all about the Sonic Hedgehog X-box game that they are both really into. And they don't see my body language or lack of interest. All part and parcel of ASD.

We can be like that with God to...
"GOOOOOOOODDDDDD? I need.... GOOOOOOODDDD I want..... GOOOOOOOOODDDD... can you...... GOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD I need a carpark....... GOOOOOOOOODDDD help me find my keys...... GOOOOOOODDD..." But do you know what? Even though we can be quite egocentric in our prayer life and do more asking and telling rather than listening, God never ever answers our calls of "GOOOOOOOODDDDD" with "WHAT???!!!!!!"

{Hebrews 4:16} So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

 photo prayer_zps6c7a8f4e.jpg


Be blessed!!

MY PRAYER 
Dear Lord, although my road is rough, I am thankful that you are teaching me cool stuff along the way. Help me to remain open and alert to what you have to show me. Thank you that you are patient with me and always approachable at any time of day or night. Thank you that I don't have to go at life alone, and you are with me every step of the way, ready to issue "the look" at anyone or anything that threatens me. Lord keep revealing yourself to me and showing me who you are and how I am made in your likeness. Keep teaching me through your Word about you. I love you. Amen

2 comments:

Lauretta said...

Awesome words - we never really know when God intervenes - we just realize the benefits of his intervention over and over again!

Lauretta said...

Awesome words - we never really know when God intervenes - we just realize the benefits of his intervention over and over again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails