Thursday, April 18, 2013

From Disappointment to Bitterness


Bitterness
resentment: a feeling of deep and bitter anger and ill-will.

Anger and ill-will is a sign that I have held unforgiveness in my heart. From this unforgiveness I have not behaved as I should. “He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him” {1 John 2:10}. If I had dealt with my unforgiveness and resentment earlier then there would have been no stumbling. But. I didn't.

 photo quotes-lifeclass-forgiveness-martin-luther-king-jr-600x411_zps76e93a49.jpg

Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many. {Hebrews 12:15}

We are given fair warning! WATCH OUT! Look for that root, expect it to come and deal with it as it does. The Bible says that it is poisonous, that it grows and will trouble and corrupt you. Well I can tell you that it does. It robs you of peace. It robs you of joy. It consumes you. It's poison getting into every part of you, skewing your views on everyone and everything. It ceases to be directed at one person or circumstance, but spews out bitterness like a geyser, and there is no control of the flow. The Bible tells us what to do with bitterness:
Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you {Ephesians 4:31-32}

We are to get rid of it! Dispose of it. Chuck it away. Remove it from ourselves. We are to change how we act and respond to one another. Be kind, be tenderhearted and forgive. Either way, it's a decision. We can decide to hold on to our anger and bitterness, we can choose to speak harshly or gossip nastily OR we can choose to be kind and forgiving. 

It's all up to us. 

We can do it my way, or God's way. We can allow my flesh to rule and continue on being bitter, or we can exercise self control and show the God who is living in us through our actions. It's our choice

MY PRAYER
Lord please rip out that root of resentment and bitterness. Replace it with goodness, kindness and self control. Help me to remember your word and your views on bitterness and unforgiveness. Help me to see a root trying to take hold and to deal with it promptly. Amen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails